The best men’s work shoes should look just as fashionable as they are comfortable. Finding comfortable work shoes for men is especially important if you have a job where you’re on your feet the majority of the day.
New work shoes can come in a variety of shapes and sizes, which means finding the perfect pair could sometimes be challenging. See our guide below that reviews our choice for five top-rated work shoe brands for men.
Best Men’s Work Shoes
Best Working Shoes For Men Reviews
1. Suadex Work Shoes Reviews
When you look at the Suadex Steel Toe Shoes for the first time, you might assume they're a typical pair of running shoes. Its low-profile design is what makes it one of our favorite options since it looks like runners but has safety features similar to safety work shoes. Available in over 17 different color combinations, finding a pair that complements your uniform will be easy.
The main features of the Suadex Safety Shoes include:
- Steel Toe Shoes: At the front of the shoe, you’ll notice there's a built-in steel toe cap that will protect your feet from substantial impacts and getting smashed while at work. It's seamlessly integrated into the toe cap so you can’t even tell it’s there.
- Kevlar Shoes Midsole: Compared to other work shoes that have a steel midsole, this pair has a Kevlar midsole. It's designed to allow the shoes to maintain their flexibility, comfort, and stability. However, the Kevlar is a bulletproof material, which means it’s highly resistant to impact and damage.
- Lightweight Steel Toe Shoes Design: When you compare the Suadex Work Safety Shoes to other safety shoes, this pair is far more lightweight since the steel toe weighs a maximum of 610 grams.
- High-Quality Materials: If you’re in the market for a pair of lightweight safety shoes for work that promotes longevity, this is the pair to consider. These shoes have an abrasion-resistant overlay over the toe as well as synthetic and breathable uppers for long-term comfort. Also, you can easily add in your own orthotic insole for optimal comfort.
2. Reebok Oxford Men's Industrial Work Shoes
Known primarily for their athletic gear, Reebok also has a collection of work gear that you can use to keep your feet comfortable and safe. The Reebok Men’s Oxford Industrial Safety Shoes is a fantastic option for a pair of Oxford work shoes that look like typical athletic shoes. At this time, they're only available in black but they have a ton of great safety features.
The main highlights of the Reebok Work Men’s Oxford Industrial Shoes include:
- Alloy Toe Safety Shoes: In the toe cap of the shoes, you’ll appreciate the aluminum alloy included to protect your toes from hazards. According to the manufacturer, they meet ASTM F2413 Safety Standards as well as Electrical Hazard Rated Shoes for protection.
- Optimal Flexibility: There are unique grooves built into these shoes to make them as flexible as possible. High flexibility is recommended for men who need the highest level of mobility and flexibility while working. Also, these low cut work shoes design makes it more comfortable than full-size work boots.
- MemoryTech Footbed: Instead of having to add in your inserts, the MemoryTech footbed makes these shoes comfortable. When you wear the Reebok Work Men’s Oxford Industrial Shoes for the first time, you’ll realize it has an immediate cushioning effect. Over hours of wear, your feet will continue to feel like they're walking on a soft surface.
- Sublite Foam Midsole: In combination with the MemoryTech footbed, there's also a Sublite Foam midsole built into these shoes for optimal support and added cushioning.
3. TICCOON Work Safety Shoes For Men
At first glance, the TICCOON Safety Shoes for men look like a reliable pair of shoes to wear in a multitude of industrial environments. Instead of having the heavy-duty aesthetic that most men's work boots have, these shoes are more akin to sneakers. Easily adaptable to a casual or professional work wardrobe, they may become your most used piece of PPE.
The best features of the TICCOON Safety Shoes include:
- Rubber Sole Work Shoes: With the addition of the rubber sole, you’ll have better traction when in wet environments. According to the manufacturer, these shoes feature a non-slip exterior and are designed to be wear-resistant.
- Fly Knit Uppers: To help maintain the most breathability as possible, you’ll love the fly knit uppers on the shoes. It allows a reasonable amount of airflow to keep your feet fresh and comfortable after hours of wear.
- Lightweight Safety Shoes for Men: Instead of dealing with heavy, sturdy work shoes that are difficult to walk in for hours, these work shoes are designed to be more lightweight. They're designed for manufacturing facilities, electrical work, and auto manufacturing. However, they can also double as protective footwear for hiking.
- Men's Steel Toe Work Shoe: Hidden in the toe cap is a plate of steel designed to protect your feet from damage. Similar to the other pairs of footwear on this list, the steel plate is hidden. The hidden plate allows the shoes to look like a casual pair of runners.
4. Skechers Cankton Work Shoes
Finding the perfect pair of industrial work shoes that have all of the features you would expect from a high-end brand can be tough. Finding the ideal shoes is especially tricky if you need rated safety shoes for multiple industries. The Skechers for Work Cankton Shoes are a highly recommended pair for men who want an all-inclusive pair of safety sneakers designed to protect their feet while staying comfortable throughout the day.
The main highlights of the Skechers for Work Cankton Shoes include:
- Steel Toe Footwear: You can rest assured these work shoes feature a specialized steel toe. The steel is tested and approved to meet ASTM F2413-2011, 1/75, and C/75 standards. Your feet will be sufficiently protected from compression and impact while wearing these safety toe work shoes.
- Electrical Safety Shoes Protection: As another certification these shoes have, they meet EH (Electrical Hazard) requirements, making them safe to work in environments with electricity. The bottoms of the shoes are sufficiently insulated, so you won’t have to worry about accidentally touching an electrically energized object.
- Sporty Work Shoes: Unlike most other work shoes that are tight and rigid, the Skechers for Work Cankton Shoes fits similarly to a regular pair of running shoes. These shoes are far roomier, more comfortable, and offer optimal support.
- Comfort Features: One of the most important things to look for in a high-quality pair of work shoes is a lot of padding and support. These shoes have a padded tongue and a padded collar as well as an incredibly soft lining. The memory foam insole is by far the most notable feature, as it gives your feet the support and cushioning they require.
- Work Shoes with Good Traction Outsole: For added grip and traction, you’ll appreciate the rubber outsole with lug traction. The traction helps you to have control, even when in wet environments.
5. Timberland PRO Pit Boss Men's Steel Toe Safety Boots
As the fifth and final pair of work shoes on this list, we have the Timberland PRO Men’s Pit Boss Boots. These comfortable steel toe boots are likely the most traditionally designed safety work shoes on the list. With a highly structured design, they're recommended for men who need protective, comfortable, and stylish boots.
The main features of the Timberland PRO Men’s Pit Boss Steel Toe Boots include:
- Anti Slip Work Boots: Designed for every type of job site, the soles of these boots are designed to be anti-slip regardless if you are working in oily or wet environments. The outsoles are also abrasion-resistant, so they'll last longer when worn daily.
- Comfort Suspension Technology: The main feature that makes the Timberland PRO boots so comfortable is its Comfort Suspension technology. It's a patented system designed to give your feet optimal comfort, meanwhile supporting you through the heavy-duty demands of a worksite.
- Waterproof Leather Work Boots: As an added benefit, the genuine leather used to craft these boots is 100% waterproof, which makes them ideal for wearing in all types of weather.
- Antimicrobial Lining: On the inside of the boots, they feature a Cambrelle fabric lining. The lining is specifically designed to give your feet extra comfort. Also, it has an antimicrobial treatment to help control foot odors from sweating.
- EH Protection: Similar to most of the other work shoes on this list, these boots also help to protect you against electrical hazards. They also meet ANSI safety standards for construction sites.
- Removable Sock Liner: If you prefer to have your own orthotics in your work boots, you’ll like the removable sock liner in these. You'll be able to create a more custom fit.
The work boots you choose will determine how healthy your feet are throughout the day, as well as how much you’re able to get done daily at work. If you select a poorly designed pair, you could suffer from blisters or be exposed to unsafe work conditions.
Below are some of the essential features to keep an eye out for when you start shopping.
1. Safety Toe Footwear
By far, the first thing you need to look for in work boots is a safety toe. Not only is this a regulation for most industrial worksites, but it’s also essential for your protection. Without safety toe shoes, you’re putting your feet in a position where they could be crushed, leading to possible amputation.
Safety toes come in a couple of different materials. Some may be Kevlar while others may be steel or aluminum. For the highest quality safety toe, it’s advised you opt for a steel toe; however, they're also known to be heavier compared to composite toe safety boots.
2. Slip Resistant Safety Shoes
When choosing safety shoes, slip-resistance may affect your choice depending on the venue where you're working. For example, some shoes may be better for water slip-resistance, and others are needed for oily surfaces. Thus, you’ll want to consider your typical job site environment or choose a work shoe that will prevent slippage in oily conditions.
The best way to tell how a shoe is resistant to slippage is to take a look at the design of its outsole. Typically, you'll want to choose shoes with heavy-duty tread made from specialized materials such as anti-slip rubber.
3. Protective Work Shoes
There are multiple ways for your feet to be protected when you’re wearing work boots, and some may be rated differently than others. The rating of your shoes will depend on what they're designed to protect you against.
A few examples of the most notable types of protective work shoes include:
- Electric shock protection
- Static dissipation
- Sole puncture protection
- Metatarsal protection
- Chainsaw protection
- Super-static dissipation
- Impact and compression protection
- Toe puncture protection
By now, you're likely aware of how expensive work boots can be. On average, a pair of specialized shoes can cost anywhere from $100 to $300 or more. The more protection features the shoes have to offer; the more expensive they're going to be.
Ideally, if you’re investing a large sum into work shoes, you’ll want to make sure they're as durable as possible. Otherwise, you could be stuck with uncomfortable safety footwear with soles that are falling apart at the base!
Durability is noticeable in numerous ways with work boots. The first thing to take note of is the type of material used to make the bulk of the shoe; real leather is one of the most superior materials to consider.
Kevlar is another popular material commonly used to make work shoes, as it’s abrasion-resistant. If you work in a warm environment, you may want to opt for a heavy-duty mesh that is breathable and comfortable.
5. Comfort and Fit
Without comfortable work shoes, you’ll be far more likely to experience foot and leg fatigue. Not to mention you could fall victim to blisters on your ankles as well.
The best work boots will have optimal padding in the sole to protect your feet and help them to feel cushioned. You may also want to opt for a pair that allows you to add your own safety shoe inserts so that you can create a more customized fit. It’s likely the sock liner in your boots can be removed to allow for insoles.
6. Sole or Heel Construction
As mentioned, the sole of your work boots is going to be the first part of your shoes to wear away. However, you won’t want them to fall apart after a few months of regular wear. The construction of the sole and heel of your work boots should be high-quality to prevent wear and tear.
Also, the sole of your shoes should have optimal support to prevent heel discomfort after days of wearing the same shoes. Pay close attention to the seams around the boot and ensure the heel isn’t directly glued; otherwise, it’s more likely to fall apart faster.
7. Insulated Work Shoes
Insulation can work in two separate ways, depending on the type of shoe you opt for. You can choose insulated work boots designed for cold weather and others that are designed to protect you from electric shock. Either way, these boots are equipped with unique materials designed to protect your feet.
Many suggest that unless you're working in extreme cold, choosing a breathable pair of work shoes and wearing thicker socks is a better alternative. Less insulation may help to prevent your feet from overheating and getting too sweaty.
Making sure you opt for a pair of work shoes that are rated to protect your feet from shock is recommended for people working around electrically charged equipment.
Best Men’s Work Shoes FAQs
1. How to Size Men’s Work Shoes?
Sizing men’s work shoes is the same as sizing any other regular pair of shoes you may own, but there could be a difference in the size of the toe box. With that said, most manufacturers try to keep their sizing similar to regular shoes. It's highly recommended you take the time to try on multiple pairs of shoes before settling on a specific brand.
You'll also want to consider your socks. A pair of thick work socks can easily make your work shoes fit differently than thin socks. Also, the way you lace the shoes could affect how they feel on your feet.
2. What Are the Different Types of Safety Toe Protection?
There are three main types of safety toe protection you can choose from when you start shopping around for work shoes. The most well-known and popular is the steel toe, as it’s affordable and easy to find in multiple stores. However, steel toe shoes are also the heaviest and may encourage fatigue.
Composite toe safety shoes are the second most popular type of toe protection because it's rated to have the same level of protection as steel. It's far more lightweight and easy to carry around on your feet. Plenty of workers prefer composite toe shoes, but they're usually more expensive than steel toe shoes.
The third most popular type of toe protection is an aluminum alloy toe, as it's by far the most lightweight. The aluminum alloy, though, may not always offer as much protection as steel or composite.
3. How to Find the Best Supportive Work Shoes for Men?
Supportive work shoes will be specifically designed to focus on the stress points of your feet. With that said, they'll have extra support in the heel, midsole, and toe area. When worn, your feet shouldn’t feel like they're walking on too soft of a surface, but that they instead have comfortable, optimal support.
4. How to Break In Work Shoes?
Breaking in work shoes is similar to any other type of footwear, but it can take a little bit of extra time. Depending on the type of shoes you purchase, you may be able to wear them until they're broken in. For more hardened materials, you may want to consider wearing your boots around the house for a few days.
Another good way to break-in work shoes is to create a bundle of socks and stuff them into the boots. After one to two days, the material should be stretched enough for your feet to fit the footwear more comfortably.
5. How to Keep Work Shoes in Good Shape?
The material of your shoes will determine how you keep them in their best condition. For example, leather will need to be rubbed with a salve to help prevent cracking and excessive damage over time. It also helps your work boots to look their best and to have optimal waterproofing.
Mesh, on the other hand, can typically be treated with an aerosol spray to improve water resistance, odor protection, and more.
Our Final Recommendation
Our choice for the best work shoes men can wear is the Skechers for Work Cankton Shoes because it's the most comfortable and stylish. Also, these shoes have all of the protection you’d expect from a high-end pair of work shoes. Its best protection features include a steel safety toe and electrical hazard rated safety shoes protection.
Last Updated on July 8, 2020 by Comfy Soles